Saturday, June 20, 2009

More people should be special

This is a beautiful song by Collin Raye, written about his granddaughter with neurological disabilities. There aren't many songs out there about children with disabilities and their impact on people's lives, and this one seemed to be just so perfect. I love this song.

My other favorite song about a child with a disability is "God's Will" by Marina McBride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJnoBbueEc0
I've spent the majority of my life "serving" individuals with disabilities. Serving is in quotes because I've gained so much more from them than they could ever gain from me.
I gained Sam, because a client set us up, and he's my favorite.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard "it takes a special person to do what you are doing." I just don't get it. How could you not? They are amazing individuals that have wonderful talents and attributes to share if people just take the time to realize it.
One of my favorite attributes of most people with disabilities is they don't care what clothes I'm wearing or how my hair is done. They care that I'm there, they accept me for what I am and I accept them. Sometimes I wished more people in the world were "special".

2 comments:

Sally F said...

That's a beautiful song Andrea. You've always been such a good example to us of how to love and treat people with disabilities.

Ritzville RS said...

I loved this post. Thanks for sharing it with us :)