Thursday, July 26, 2012

Plantains, Pontoons and Snowflakes

Sam does a lot in the community. He networks quite a bit and is a member of tons of groups. These groups often have drawings or want to share what great new product they have. So Sam in one of their things won tickets to the Blue bird Cafe up at Sundance. 
-The Original Bluebird Cafe is in Nashville and only seats about 100 people it's where song writers come and preform their new songs to see how people react. So to share the love of the Bluebird they pick a few song writers and have them do a few shows around the country. And Sundance was one of the stops. 

But to start the date off he took me to dinner at the Maize Grill. It's in the University Mall (not in the food court but in a store front) It's Venezuelan food. It was really good. Almost all the menu is gluten free. We are open to trying new things so we told the chef to surprise us with our dinner. He made us a Plantain Sandwich with pulled pork, veggies and a really yummy sauce. He also made us a Chicken Arepa, and Beef Empenada.  It was all really good. And again Sam used a gift certificate that he got from one of his things. 
Then we got Ice Cream at Baskin Robbins... again he had a deal from his work. 
Then we headed up the canyon to Sundance. 
It started to rain. But we didn't care I love the rain.
So when we got to Sundance we parked, rode a bus down to the ticket office, got our tickets, then walked over a field to where a tractor picked us up in it's large trailer. It pulled us up a very steep hill. And dropped us off at the amphitheater. Where we found a seat and cuddled. It was nice and quiet.  The stage is in the middle of the forest.
 We saw Luke Laird, Josh Kear, Natalie Hemby, They have written songs for Tim McGraw, Carrie Underwood, Lady Antebellum stuff like that. They sang some of their songs some we had heard some were new not picked up by a performer yet. There was one song that was a joke song about riding a pontoon boat it's going to be a big country hit I'm sure of it. One of the performers also did a white guy rap his rapper name was snowflake. 


It stopped raining a few minutes into the show. And was just heavenly. Ok so they aren't the best singers. I get that but I love listening to songwriters. I always have. I don't know to me it's like you are hearing their heart... where the music came from. I don't know it was my kind of thing. 




So after the show and an encore we walked down the muddy hill, caught the bus up to our car and headed down the canyon for home. It was a wonderful night spent with the man I adore. And it was even better that it didn't cost us anything more than gas.

No comments: