So it was Saturday a lovely day outside. Mid 50's. The kids had cleaned their rooms. They ate lunch. They were playing outside. Seth ran through the living room to grab something. As he did he came around the corner and decided to do a cartwheel over the arm of the couch. He's done it a 100 times. We've told him not to do it 101 times. When he did it this time his left hand didn't make it solidly on the arm rest. It was only on the fluffy part. So he was running and had enough power to do a cartwheel but landed on the ground instead. He arm went into an odd angle, giving him and extra wrist. in the middle of his lower arm. Sam helped me get him in the car and we drove to instacare. That was about 4pm.
| Waiting at Instacare |
At instacare he started to go into shock. So they got that stabilized. They examined him. They did X-rays. It was definitely broken, both the radius and the ulna. The Radius was displaced and overlapping.
They wouldn't put it back in at instacare.
So they called American Fork Hospital. They wouldn't put it back in because they don't have a pediatric Ortho doc.
So they called Utah Valley. They wouldn't place it because they don't do flex nails so if he needed surgery they would have to transfer him.
So they called Primarys and they said send him up.
While they were calling around Sam ran over to instacare to bring me my phone and CGM that I left on the counter on our run out the door. So Linda came over to sit with Chris and Lexi.We got checked into the ER at Primary's. We waited. While we waited we saw a family of avatars. They were there because the toddler was having a reaction to the blue face paint. We saw a family of Dr. Who characters. Their little boy fell at Com a con and split open his chin. A dad showed up to see his kid that was in the ER. He was drunk and was escorted out by the police.
They took us back and started an IV. By this time it was 8pm.
At about 8:45pm the Respitory Therapist came in, the anesthesiologist, the Orthopedic Dr, the portable X-ray and tech, 2 nurses, and the attending Dr. They started sedating him so that they could set the bones into place. He decided breathing wasn't the most important thing so they had to bag him for the first 35 minutes. The Dr had a band around Seth's Elbow that he would pull down on with his foot and pull up on his hand with his hands to get it un-overlapped. It made all sorts of noises. Then they would take an Xray to make sure it was right or how they needed to adjust it again. They adjusted it about 40 times and took almost 150 xrays. The sedation would only last a few minutes so they would have to give him more. They finally on the 6th dose of meds got the bones set.
They started to splint it and they slipped out again. So we started over. They were nice enough to let me stay in the room to watch all of this.
| Just an IV |
After a few more tries the girl in the room next door coded. She literally died. They were doing chest compressions and using the paddles. So the respiratory therapist, attending and one of the nurses needed to leave. While we were waiting the Ortho got another call and so did the x ray tech. So it was me and one nurse left to make sure he would breathe etc. The meds started to wear off. He wasn't sedated any more. His bones weren't in the right place and didn't have any more pain meds in his system. He was not happy. They didn't want to give him any more because all the Doc's weren't in there and if he needed surgery.
So all I could do was sit next to him and tell him it was going to be ok. He asked me to tell him stories. I told him about when Sam broke my arm. When Uncle Brad bit off the tip of his tongue, broke his arm, and broke his leg multiple times. But as I sat there telling him stories watching him be in so much pain all I could think was I am so lucky that I get to comfort my child while that mother is facing telling hers goodbye. The little girl made it but she was basically brain dead. So her body was alive but her mom did have to say goodbye to the little girl she was.
It took 2 1/2 hours to get everyone back in the room. They started again. It took a hour and a half, 75 minutes of that he had to bagged to keep his O2 up. They were up to 6 more doses of sedation which is the max they can give him in the ER. Another 200 xrays and the bones still weren't going into place. The anesthesiologist said they couldn't give him any more so they had one more try to get the bone in or they would have to go to the OR. The Ortho doc was sweating and looked defeated. He kept saying they should go back together.
So that moment as Seth was starting to wake up and they had one last chance I prayed one of the most fervent prayers I've ever prayed and I think so did everyone else in the room
POP!
The bones were set.
They wrapped them up in a splint. The Ortho said there was a 30% to 40% chance it would stay that way. But he didn't think that Seth's body was up for more sedation, and with the shock they wanted to give him some time to calm down. So we are going back to Primary's on Wednesday for more X-rays and hoping that it's stayed in place so they can cast it. If not Wednesday afternoon of Thursday morning it's surgery. By this time it was 2am Sunday morning.
Seth and I made it home about 4 am. Sam and I got Seth in bed and were heading to bed ourselves when Lexi stumbled out of her room and was in a coughing attack. Coughing to the point she vomited all the way down the hall and into the bathroom. Coughing, gagging, crying, coughing, gagging, crying, vomiting. All sorts of her mucus and vomit all over our bed. We got her calmed down, cleaned up, back in bed. 4:45am. But still coughing.
6 am Sam called to say he wasn't going to the Bishopric meetings. Chris woke up.
6:30 am Seth was up wanting pain meds. He still hurts pretty bad. His shoulder and elbow are sore from all the pulling and tugging. The break still hurts. But we are trying to stay on top of pain.
7am Lexi was up coughing.
10am Lexi and I visited Insta care. Double Ear infections, probably inner ear as well causing the vomiting with the coughing. The coughing he thought was caused by Bacterial Croup, which apparently is much less common than viral croup and can be much more serious. So the Doc gave her a steroid and antibiotic shot. The sent her home with a cough medicine, antibiotic and breathing treatments.
We made it back home into time for Sam to get cleaned up and be up on the stand in time for sacrament meeting.
So that was our last 24 hours....
The 2 weeks before that haven't been all that great either but not as bad as the last 24 hours.
I had a cold, but for a Diabetic rarely is it just a cold. I've had a cold for over a month now. I try not to let a cold stop me until I start spilling keytones. I started spilling Keytones last week. (Your body is built to burn fat as well as carbs for energy. When you burn fat, you produce ketones which are acidic. If a type 1 goes without insulin or is sick their body goes into "overdrive" burning fat. These ketones build up way past the normal level, eventually making the blood acidic. This is life-threatening if not treated.) I ended up getting respiratory infection and fighting keytones. Keytones make your blood sugar run higher and make you nauseous. So you have to give more insulin to get rid of the keytones. But you don't want to eat because you have keytones but with extra insulin you have too or you go low. So it's a vicious circle. Having the keytones led to me having 2 large kidney stones. But I passed those a week ago and I quit spilling keytones on Tuesday. So hopefully I am on the mend.
Taking care of everyone else has worn down Sam and he is fighting a cold and sinus headaches. Christian is healthy and happy, it's really good that one of us is.
I often don't tell people what we go through on a daily basis because I get tired of hearing "You are so strong" "I could never do that" or people feeling sorry for me. To be perfectly honest I can do what I do, and what I do is really no more than any one else because of 2 people. First, Sam he is my biggest support, lifesaver and there is no one better in this world that Sam.
Second, my Father in Heaven. Every single day I let him know that I am not strong enough to do this on my own, That I will try my best but I need him to do the rest. Sometimes him filling in the gaps is sending Sam to save me. Sometimes it's a friend that will show up to give blessings. Sometimes it's just a gentle reminder that I don't have to do it all. And sometimes it's strength that I have no idea where it comes from.
So that's how we survived the last few weeks and here is to hoping that Wednesday brings a cast and not surgery. That antibiotics and steroids work so Lexi can breath and eat again. That Chris stays healthy and Sam doesn't have a mental breakdown.
No comments:
Post a Comment