Wednesday, October 8, 2008

How did you meet?

Ok so I have an assignment for Sociology:

Please interview at least 8 people who are married. Find out how they met each other? If someone who has not met their soul mate and would like to find one, what would be your advice for them to meet their soul mate?

It would be great if you could help me answer this. Leave it in a comment or email it to me. I think it will also be interesting to hear people's stories and get to know everyone better.

Thanks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

FUN! Here goes: Adam and I met on a blind date. We were lined up by my high school girlfriend, Raelene who married Preston, one of Adam's buddies from college. I was 23 at the time and an "old maid" living in Utah County. :) Preston tried to line us up for almost a year when finally he called up Adam and said "dude, you have a date with Amy on Friday... pick her up at 7". I must have sounded like such a charity case. Our first date was incredible and we hit it off immediately. I still remember the butterflies I had that night he dropped me off. We dated for 1 1/2 years and he finally got the courage to take the jump and we were married in the Mt. Timp temple in November of 1999. He is the best thing that ever happened to me. I love him so much. I love how much he respects and loves me for who I am. He is a great dad. I love his testimony, his family, he honors his priesthood, his sense of humor, he is a hard worker... hey, I even love his stinky feet. :) He is my best friend and we have a great thing! This is way more information than you asked for... and probably making you want to barf! (smiles)

Advice: Lots of prayer and to marry your best friend... find someone that has the same interests and beliefs.. and to always remember that none of us are perfect... yet. :)

Crystal P said...

Okay. So, I had just had my appendix out and was back down in Cedar City at SUU for school. Matt and Angie were keeping an eye out for me since I had just had surgery, and said they were going to take me to see Star Trek: Insurrection. Angie came and picked me up in Cedar City, I was still on a little bit of pain medication so I couldn't drive, and we went to St. George to pick up Matt at work before we went to the movie. Matt said, "Oh, hey, I invited Bryan to come to the movie with us." So Bryan and I talked a bit during this little outing, and I decided that I needed to come to visit Matt and Angie a lot more!

Advise: Definitely that no one is perfect, not even yourself

The Jones :) said...

This is a cool assignment!! Here's our story: Ryan & I met in Minnesota when he was serving his mission. He served in the area I lived, and that's when we first met, but NOTHING happened or went on. He was an amazing missionary and very focused to his service. He came back to visit MN a few months after he got home for a wedding, and came back up to our area to visit the members. My parents invited him to stay at our house, since it was the weekend of my graduation party, and it was going to be fun. So he showed up, and it was great!! We stayed up and chatted around a bon-fire from 2:30 a.m til 7:30 a.m just talking. It was great to get to know him and see him as a "person" and not a missionary. He stayed at our house for 2 1/2 days and by the time he left, we were both very sad to have to say good-bye. He came back to UT and I stayed in MN...we talked on the phone every night for the next month...I came out to visit him for a week...and 3 days after that trip, he was back in Minnesota with a ring and asking to marry me. We "hooked" up in June...got engaged in August...and married in the St. Paul, Minnesota temple in October 2001. (7 years next week)...He's an amazing husband, guy, and person. He's the biggest example to me, and loves me no matter what. We've been through a lot with each other, and it's only helped us grow closer together. He's an amazing father and provider, he's willing to do all he can to make things better for his family. He has an amazing testimony and love for our Savior. I truly love him more then words can express, and I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't have him.
There...that's my story...don't know if it's what you wanted or not!?!?! But it was good for me to go over it again!!

Advice: Amen to Amy's...make sure they're your FRIEND first, that they make you laugh and keep you smiling. Pray hard and make sure it's right, Heavenly Father just wants us all to be happy and help us achieve our goals. Settle for nothing less then a temple marriage, you'll be blessed beyond belief for it!!

Anonymous said...

Here is our story. Matt and I met in middle school. He moved away though. He moved back when we started high school and became friends with my older brother (older brothers can come in handy). We didn't start dating until we were in college. I had just broken up with a boyfriend the week before we stared dating (obviously previous guy was not my soulmate). We dated for a year and he went on his mission. We dated for 3 months after he returned before he popped the question. All in all we had been fiends for over 9 years before we got married.

Advice. Be best friends (be friends with their family to, who ever said that "your marry him not his family" is a big fat lier.

Crystal P said...

Interestingly enough, the boyfriend that Angie broke up with the week before she started dating my brother is now my husband!!! Funny, huh?

CaradonandtheBoys! said...

I want to play!! Brad met my family while he was serving his mission in Oregon. My dad was ward mission leader, so he spent a lot of time at my house. My sister even had a crush on him. Even though we only met once while he was out, he heard a lot about the Christensen's oldest daughter who was going to school in Utah. Then, five years after he got back from his mission, he switched majors at UVSC and we ended up in a class together. I was sitting in the front row, and he was in the back, and when I introduced myself in class, I heard someone in the back of the room say, "Hey, I know you!" It took me a while to figure out who he was, but luckily I had a memorable name. We started sitting together in class, which turned into dating, of course I had to ask my sister for permissions first! J/K she was already married with kids. Dating turned into an engagement and here we are.

My advice: Friends first is the key. Also short engagments are good, Brad and I waited 6 months. And compromise in everything, that is what equal partnership means.

Candy said...

Ron and I met in a Fitness for Life class at UVSC. On the first day we were suposed to find a partner... He asked me to be his partner and I asked him if he knew what he was doing? He said no so I blew him off. Later in the class we started a small group which I affectionately called the "Fat Group". It was me, another girl and Ron. We all rode the bikes together on work out day. We got to know each other pretty well. I told him that I had a son... he freaked out... I told my family he was the biggest judgemental jerk... and didn't talk to him for a couple weeks... then we started talking again.

I was also taking a dating class for institute and my teacher told us that if we wanted to show a guy that we were interested, that we should caress the back of his arm (tricept area). Well I did that one day to Ron to see if it worked... well it did he asked me out when I did that. (he took the class too.) We dated for a couple weeks and then he asked me to marry him... we were married a couple months later.

Advice: Caress the back of a guys arm (tricept area) when you are talking to him. Oh, and everything everyone else has said is important too.