Wednesday, November 14, 2012

T1D Day

 
November 1st is International Diabetes day. November is Diabetes Awareness month. November 14t his National Diabetes Day.
Diabetes never gets the attention that Cancer does, or AIDS, or many other diseases even though it kills more people every year than those combined. I watched my Grandpa die a slow painful death because of diabetes. And it does damage to by body daily no matter how good I try to keep it in control. 
Yes it is supposed to be funny that Diabetes day is the day after Halloween. Even though too much candy won't give you type1 diabetes.

 
Type 1 Diabetes is an Auto Immune Disorder. Meaning my immune system attacked my pancreas basically killing the cells that produce insulin. 

Type 1 Diabetes
 Which is why I wear my pump. 
I was on injections for 9 years, and still give some as a back up when my pump is having issues. 
I change my pump site at least every 3 days. 


I test my blood at least 4times a day. And while I was pregnant around 12 times a day.


I hope that you will be "Aware" of those around you who struggle with this disease. Some days, it can take everything out of a me but I refuse to let it control me. Having had this disease since I was 10 years old, I've appreciated the many people who have come into my life including the doctors, dieticians, diabetes educators, camp counselors and friends. They are the ones who have made this disease bearable and made me actually grateful for this challenge I've been given.
So, if you know someone who is dealing with this disease, please give them a hug today and offer to be there for them. Learn about their disease and what they struggle with on a daily basis. You'll be appreciated more than you know.
Wear blue today to show your support of find a cure for this damn disease. Diabetes day won't get as much awareness and support as the other diseases out there because people forget insulin isn't a cure it's just a treatment. But hopefully one day there will be a cure and if nothing else maybe today will raise someone's awareness of what effects my life daily.

1 comment:

Marie said...

You're right, I have no clue what diabetes is really like for you and how difficult it must be on a daily basis. I was already amazed by what a good mom and person you are and now I'm even more impressed!