Monday, August 26, 2013

Picking a School

This was Seth's first day of Preschool way back in 2010. I know so long ago he looks so little.
This was Christian's first day in 2012. 

If you've talked to me very much over the last 8 months you've probably heard about my school dilemma. I just knew in my gut our neighborhood school wasn't right for Seth. It's not a bad school by any means it just wasn't right for him.
I made a spread sheet with all sorts of categories, testing scores, curriculum, bully reports, lunch options, playground, locations, observations of teachers and the list could go on. I talked to parents about each school. I looked at charter schools, other public schools. I researched and researched every school that I was willing to drive to.
I narrowed it down to a few and took  Seth with me to finally see the final choices. One based on the Montessori principles, one that was recommended by his current teacher and one that was right on paper. The Montessori school was not ok with Seth he looked at me like "what were you thinking." He told me he needed more structure (He didn't actually say structure but after his explanation that's what it was)  The one that was right on paper Seth said made him feel creepy in his stomach and he didn't like it there. So  that one was out too. So we went to the one Kids Village recommended and he walked in and said he could deal with this school. So that's the one he is going  to. We are hoping that it will be a good fit for him and hopefully Christian in a year or so.
No place is ever going to be exactly like Kids Village. He loved it there. He loved the teachers, he loved how they taught, he loved it.
Seth is jealous that Christian gets to go back to Kids Village. And to be honest I am too I'm  going to miss going to Kids Village every day. Going to back to school night was so much fun for me. I got to talk to all the teachers, get caught up on what they did all summer it was almost like I was back on the first day getting caught up with friends. When Lexi is old enough to go to school I should be done with my degree, or almost done and I just might just volunteer a whole lot. That sounds like more fun  than getting a job that would use my degree.

No comments: